Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ne Ka Bamanankan Kalan

There are many things this trip is confirming for me, but one of the biggies is that in order to learn this instrument, knowing the language is paramount. Remember this?: Somos peruanos y somos dueños de este conjunto primoroso del amor!

Famoro once said to me as we were listening to an Ensemble Instrumental track: “you see? the bala is singing here” and then proceeded to sing (in words) the melody that the balafola was charting. It sure would be easier to recall melodies if I had words to attach to them.

Michael and I have yet to confirm how many of my uOttawa courses can be applied to the York degree, but if I do in fact have to take another course after this, I think it makes good sense to propose that it be a directed reading (directed [or at least aided] by Toronto's and Ottawa's Malian communities, perhaps?) in which, using Parlons Bambara, Un Peu de Bambara Sans (Beaucoup de) Peine, and J’apprends le Bambara, I embark on a serious study of at least one of the Mande languages. Admittedly, it would make better sense that the language I learn be Maninkakan, but the materials for that language just aren’t there. Susu might be another option, but again, materials are scant. Besides, most Maninkakan speakers I ask (as well as my friend Saiba Suso, a polyglot and native speaker of Mandinka) suggest that Bamanankan is the most versatile of the Mande languages. (Hey . . . maybe a part of that directed reading could involve some kind of linguistic/ melodic analysis of Bamanan songs wherein I search for patterns that might facilitate the learning of sung bala melodies. I need to check my iTunes catalogue to see where I have written lyrics for heptatonic tracks in each of Bamanankan, Maninkakan, and Susu.)

1 comment:

Steve said...

I've also heard Abou Sylla refer to some of the bala parts as the "singing" part, because it follows the pattern of the vocal melody.
Here's a short clip on youtube of the singing class at a drum camp where you can hear the Sorsonet vocal verse, and later you hear Abou playing that verse on the bala. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvbsecKf75w