Saturday, February 27, 2010

Some Miscellaneous Thoughts

1.
Re: Friday, February 26, 2010's Surrender Value post, I said: There's more to language learning than memorizing vocabulary. A communicative approach is higher-surrender.

I wonder if this is true...

One way to test would be the scrolling piano-roll sight-readers thing (which I'll describe in a future post).

2.
I wonder if practice without performance imperatives, where social (and economic) feedback (and incentives) affect the role of "creativity," execution, speed, reactivity, etc. is doomed to never be as effective as practice where you aren't "struggling"...

3.
I think communicative playing involves (or is related to) listening, grooving, relaxing.

4.
To vary a riff and groove on a tune, try: listening for melodies within melodies, playing subtly with dynamics, taking certain notes out, and/or shifting your multimeter perspective.

No comments: